You should always keep baking chocolate bars on hand in case you need to whip up a quick treat. Baking bars come in a wide variety of chocolate flavors and hues, making them a must-have in your cupboard for when you’re in the mood for a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
When it comes to baking, the greatest chocolate bar depends on what you’re making, but most can be substituted for another to suit your personal cocoa preferences. White chocolate broken into slivers is a great addition to a bar cookie stuffed with dried fruit, whilst dark chocolate could be more suited for a truffle.
Top 5 Baking Chocolate America’s Test Kitchen: Editor Recommended
There’s no limit to what bars can achieve, so long as you keep an assortment on hand to ensure you never have to compromise. If you’d like to know more about the advantages of slab-format chocolate, keep reading.
The 10 Best Baking Chocolate America’s Test Kitchen Review:
1. Callebaut Finest Belgian Semisweet Chocolate Blocks
Purchasing from vendors other then Frank and Sal can lead to a bad experience. We Vacuum seal our chocolate. In the warmer months ship with a cooler and ice. Callebaut Belgium’s Finest Chocolate. Cut and Vacuumed Sealed by Frank and Sals Italian Market. Approximately one pound each.
- We take larger slabs of Callebaut and cut them into two usable pieces for the home chef.
- Our Chocolate is Fresh and Vacuum Sealed.
- Frank and Sal uses Expedited (2day) shipping for each order.
2. Baker’s, Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate Squares
These chocolate bars have changed like so many other great foods. I grate semi-sweet Baker’s bars for ice cream. Now you can hold the room temp bar in your hand and it never melts while grating.
Something is wrong when chocolate doesn’t melt in your warm hand. Before I would have to freeze the bar before grating and it would still soften up before I finished. And it taste waxy.
- Baker’s **Heat Sensitive Item, See Seller Details about refunds before ordering during the Summer Months**
- Semi Sweet
- Easy Break Baking Bars
- 4oz Box
- Pack of 4
3. Merckens Coating Melting Wafers Milk Chocolate cocoa lite
Merckens coating melting wafers chocolate cocoa Lite. This quality melting chocolate is smooth and creamy and will work very nicely for all your candy making needs. This listing is for a bulk 5 pound bag of Merckens cocoa Lite melting wafers.During the warmer months, you’ll probably notice a whiteish coating that appears on the surface of the chocolate.
We call this a bloom this is caused by changes in temperature when the cocoa butter inside the chocolate melts and separates from the rest of the ingredients. This is normal, especially when the chocolate is shipped via truck. Bloom will not affect the taste of chocolate. This is a melting chocolate and the bloom will disappear once the chocolate is properly melted and formed.
- Free Shipping
- Fresh and Delicious
- In general, chocolates melts if they are kept beyond 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
- At the same time, Chocolate may melt in shipping if ordering during warmer temperatures.
- If it melts during shipping, it can be remelted and there will be little change in the hardened/finished chocolate.
- Chocolate may melt in shipping if ordering during warmer temperatures. If it melts during shipping, it can be remelted.
4. Baker’s Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Bar
Sometimes have added a small chunk into a blender for a protein shake. You need a powerful blender though. I have a Ninja that works well and I use ice cubes, protein powder, frozen fruit, 6ounces almond milk, and a small chunk of Bakers chocolate.
- All Natural; 100% Cacao
- 4 oz. Easy Break Bar
- Same Great Chocolate
- Kosher Dairy
5. GHIRARDELLI Premium 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
Ghirardelli Premium 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar delivers the ultimate indulgence for recipes. The luxurious flavor and smooth texture of this bittersweet baking chocolate provides a delicious start to your favorite recipes.
Add this Ghirardelli chocolate bar to your homemade cakes, brownies, cookies and other baked treats for indulgent results. Made with real vanilla, this bittersweet chocolate bar contains high quality cocoa beans roasted to perfection to create a decadent chocolate experience. Elevate your baking from great to extraordinary with Ghirardelli baking supplies.
- Twelve (12) 4 oz Ghirardelli Premium 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bars
- Ghirardelli baking bar contains high quality ingredients to create a smooth, rich bittersweet chocolate flavor with melt-in-your-mouth indulgence
- Perfect in any chocolate recipe, including chocolate cakes, fudge and brownies
- Chocolate for baking made from high quality sustainably sourced cocoa beans roasted to perfection with real vanilla
- Chocolate baking bar is certified kosher
6. Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Make life a bite better with Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Premium Baking Chips. Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking chocolate chips are perfect for any baking recipe, delivering a sweet, classic chocolate flavor with hints of vanilla extract.
Bake the ultimate chocolate chip cookies, make the most decadent brownies or stir into pancake or waffle batter for a morning treat. Ghirardelli chocolate chips fill your baked goods with a rich flavor and smooth texture for true indulgence with every bite.
These semi-sweet chocolate chips for baking are made with the highest quality cocoa butter, unsweetened chocolate and just the right amount of cane sugar for delicious flavor.
These kosher chocolate chips are made with sustainable sourced cocoa beans. Elevate your baking from great to extraordinary with Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 12 oz (Pack of 3)
- Baking chocolate chips made with hints of vanilla extract for sweet, classic chocolate flavor
- Great for any baking or snacking need, including chocolate chip cookies, brownies, muffins and cakes
- Made with cocoa butter, unsweetened chocolate and just the right amount of cane sugar; Kosher
7. Belgian Milk Chocolate Baking Callets
There are two different ways to do it, either in the microwave which needs a careful eye to make sure it’s not over done or using a bain marie. If you don’t have one, you can just use a pot with about an inch of water on the bottom and a bowl (I use a small metal mixing bowl).
- Product Brand: Callebaut – Country of Origin: Belgium
- Product is perishable and will ship via FedEx Overnight service
- Availability: Usually ships within 1 business day
8. Callebaut Recipe Finest Belgian Dark Chocolate
Loved by chefs all over the world, Recipe No. 811 is Callebaut’s most iconic recipe and was created by Octaaf Callebaut himself. The core of this chocolate is the signature cocoa blend: a well-kept secret mix of mainly West African top grade cocoa beans. Whole bean roasting guarantees its full flavor with a solid cocoa body and fine top notes.
- Made with sustainable cocoa.
- Medium fluidity chocolate: a great fit for almost any application.
- Kosher Dairy certified.
- Our signature ChocLock seals in freshness while the flat bottom makes the bag easy to store.
- Callebaut products are intended for professional use only.
9. Valrhona Dutch Processed French Cocoa Powder
Valrhona’s one and only cocoa powder is the only cocoa powder you will ever need. It is nearly perfect in both color and flavor and while intense, it is never bitter. It is dark and rich and full of flavor. Perfect for hot chocolate and cocoa brownies and everything in between.
Valrhona has been producing the world’s finest chocolate in the small village of Tain L’Hermitage, France since 1922. From the beginning, company founder and Pastry Chef Albéric Guironnet was dedicated to the creation of unique, artisan quality chocolate with complex, balanced and consistent flavors.
Our mission of excellence continues as the gastronomic traditions of the renowned Rhone Valley find expression in every mouthwatering taste of Valrhona’s superb chocolate.
For almost a century, Valrhona has created a range of unique and recognizable aromatic profiles by perfecting techniques for enhancing the flavor of rare cocoa beans, grown on land masterfully selected for its terroir. Today, leading Pastry Chefs and discerning gourmets rely on Valrhona’s expertise to experience the best that chocolate can be.
- Perfect for All Baking Applications and Hot Chocolate Making. Makes the Richest Dark Chocolate Cakes and Brownies.
- Cocoa Powder, Sugar-Free, Kosher Certified, Ideal for making Truffles, Mousses, and the Most Intense Chocolate Desserts.
- Dissolves Easily. Warm Red Mahogany Color Brings Out All The Subtle Note in Desserts like Vanilla and Caramel.
- Luxurious Hot Drinking Chocolate With Just a Few Simple Ingredients. Dark and intense, but never bitter.
- In Resealable Container of Cocoa Powder Perfect for Fall and Holiday Baking and Hot Chocolate Nights.
10. Guittard, 70% Bittersweet Cocoa Baking Bars
One red box has 3 bars. Each bar is individually wrapped in foil and is 2 oz. Each bar snaps easily into 1 oz ,1/2 oz or 1/6 oz sections. But the company is selling four red boxes bundled together. So you are getting a total of 12 foil wrapped 2 oz bars.
- Guittard **Heat Sensitive Item, See Seller Details about refunds before ordering during the Summer Months**
- 70% Bittersweet Cocoa
- Baking Bars
- 6oz Package
- Pack of 4